If there’s one component of your vehicle that you should really check every so often – it’s your car brakes. Gaining speed and being able to stop when needed are equally important. Faulty brakes are dangerous because more than just car damage, it can actually cost you your life, or even someone else’s. So keep it in check at all times!
Here are some signs that can tell you if it’s time for a brake repair:
- Visual inspection – This is the easiest and simplest way to check your brakes. Have a look at the thickness of your brake pads and it should be at least a quarter of an inch thick. If the pads look really thin, then it means they’re worn out and it’s time to get new ones.
- Screeching sounds – When brakes wear down, there’s a tiny piece of metal that touches the brake rotor thus making quite the unpleasant sound. This is actually intentional so you know right away if there’s a brake problem.
- Less braking power – Just like anything else, the newer the item, the better it performs. This is the same with brakes. The more you use it, the more it gets worn out and becomes not as effective when it was brand new. You’ll feel it when you need a longer braking distance before your car fully stops. So before you get into any accidents, have those brakes checked and replaced.
- Driving distance – In general, brake pads should be replaced when you’ve travelled around 50,000 miles but this may vary depending on your usual driving conditions. If you’re usually driving with a full load or on steep roads, your brakes may get more worn out faster than normal.
- Warning lights – If the brake light turns up on your dashboard, then you have to immediately check your brakes. The light is a definite sign that something’s going on and it doesn’t just turn on without any reason.
- Burning smell – If something starts smelling weird when you’re stepping on those brakes, then you may want to consider checking them out. It can mean your brakes or your clutch is overheating.
These are just some signs that can tell you about the condition of your brakes but did you know that there’s a more accurate way to check them?
Safe T Stop is an advanced brake and wheel alignment test equipment. It can provide accurate brake performance and wheel alignment test results in less than 10 seconds!
And yes, we now have it here at Ipswich City Mechanical and Auto Electrical! We have recently installed Safe T Stop lanes so we can provide you with better wheel and brake repair services! And the best part? It is now part of all the services we offer! Click here to see it in action!
So if you feel that your breaks are starting to wear out, just bring your car to our shop and we’ll be more than happy to check it out. We take pride in providing personalised car maintenance so no job is too small or too big for us.
We offer log book service, air conditioning repairs, auto electrical services and so much more. We also offer loan cars and provide pick up and drop off in the local area for our clients. Our various payment options are available to make sure that you get that car service without worries. 🙂
If you have any inquiries, you can reach us at (07) 3812 1341 or drop us a message on our Facebook page.